Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Visit from the Family

Last week my brother had Spring Break so my whole family came to visit me :)
I met them in Stockholm (after oversleeping my train) where we stayed at the swanky Hotel Rival. The first day we just went to the Vasa museum followed by smörgasbörd (traditional Swedish buffet) for dinner at the Grand Hotel. The next day we walked around Gamla Stan taking pictures. We saw the changing of the guard as well as the treasury, armory, and Nobel Prize musuem. Dinner was an adventure because not many things are open on Sunday nights in Scandinavia/Europe in general but I knew of the pizza place where my friends and I had eaten before. It's not great by any means but it's cheap and the pizza is decent and a bit exotic in the toppings. Somehow we ended up with a waiter who didn't know English and couldn't understand any of my Swedish :(

The next morning we took the train to Uppsala so I could show them around town. We stopped at Ofendahls Konditori to try semla and other Swedish treats. For dinner we went to Domtrappkällaren, one of the nicest resturants in town. The food was absolutely delicious (I had lamb) but unfortunately I had to go to Swedish class so I couldn't try desert. But next I will, since my parents bought Stephan and I a gift certificate so we can enjoy a really romantic dinner for two :). We spent the night at the airport so we could get up really early to catch our plane to Amsterdam.

Amsterdam was fantastic. The city has so much charm and character and a life to it unlike any other. The buildings make me laugh with their leanings and steep staircases. While I was with my family (I had to leave a day early to attend class), we saw the Van Gogh musuem (I love "Starry Night Over the Rhone") and Anne Frank house. Plus we tried Dutch pancakes (either small and potatoey or very large and thin with all kinds of stuff mixed in kind of like pizza, but served with stroop, a special molass like syrup) and got lunch at an automat!

The next day we took a train to Haarlem, a small town outside of Amsterdam, which much quiter but just as pretty. We got a personal tour of the windmill which has an amazing view. More Dutch/Flemish food was had: Belgian waffles and frites (french fries) with hollandaise or curry sauce. Dinner was Indosian food (like spicy Chinese food with more vegatables and coconut flavors).

I want to go back to Amsterdam, but maybe with out my family. And any one who goes, should venture to Haarlem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Analytics